Saturday, June 25, 2011

3 drops in the meat 3 drops in the wine-

and Ivy knew deeeeeep in her guts that it was wrong but what else could she do? She had grown used to the dark meetings with her lover the Moonlight, and except for the difficult week of the dark-of-the-moon, they hadn't been without each other for weeks.  How comfortable a temporary situation can become.


Uncle, asleep in his chair, his nose touching his chest.  Uncle, his warnings  for her to keep to the house at night unheeded, spends his days in a perpetual grog. Nothing will stand before love, it will leave a wasteland in it's wake!  Now is her cue to slip out into the late summer night.  


The moonlight was grouchy, having waited and waited for his love. (She had to bathe first of course! and perfume herself and put roses in her cheeks.)


"What took you so long.." he growled in their secret way.


"I'm here now aren't I?" She sighed and fell to the ground, rolling back and forth in the grass in his light.  She giggled and wrapped her arms around herself.
"I guess this won't be as much fun in the winter." 


"You're getting grass all over yourself," the Moonlight said.


"I don't care! I could lie here forever," she said and stopped rolling and stared up at the sky.
"The universe is so dark, but that is where you live.   And here you are with me, now,  giving me a little bit of it's light."


"Who's light?"
"The Universe's!"
"Yes," he said, "and I always will."


"But will you always love me, as you do right now?"


And because he was older and very much wiser, he said;
"Probably not.  But what do I know!  This feeling right here, with you, feels different to me.  But I have been in love many many times."


"I've never loved anyone like this.."


"You're lucky," the Moonlight sighed,"it always seems to end so sadly."


"Well I never even thought this wouldn't go on, forever and forever-" and she stopped talking with a thump because she heard what she was saying.


"Ivy, you will find the life you were meant to live."
"But how will I ever find it!"
"You'll have to stop spending all you time in the backyard with me."
"What?"
"You know I especially love watching you writhe under my stare, Ivy.  I spend my time in other parts of the world dreaming of your face, your hair, your pants...but-"
"But a romance between a celestial light and a human woman will never work out will it."
"Have you thought about sex?"
"What about it?" she blushed, leaning over into the dark.
"How that would work, between us I mean."
"Well, don't you know?" she asked.
"No!" he said.  " I've never, done that before.."


"I don't care about that," she whispered and traced a pattern of him in the grass with her bare toe.


"You don't mean that.  I don't believe you." he whispered back.


She cried and then she cried.  He brushed against her ear and spoke sweet silver words to her.  They went into her soul and she felt a little less, less than whole.


*************
It was late when Ivy finally locked the door behind her.  She saw the taxi waiting at the curb, and as she walked toward it she took one last look at the lingering moonlight.  Then she opened the door and climbed inside.


********************

No comments:

Post a Comment